Sunday, April 29, 2007

Nasreddin and his neighbour


Most of Nasreddin's neighbours were pleasant people,who were always ready to help each other when they were in trouble; but there was one woman who lived in his street who was disliked by everybody because she was always interfering in other peoples' business,and because she was always borrowing things from people and then forgetting to give them back.Early one morning,Nasreddin heard a knock at his front door,and when he opened it,found this woman outside.
Good morning,Nasreddin ,she said .I have to take some things to my sister's house in the town today,and I have not got a donkey,as you know.Will you lend me yours ?I will bring it this evening.
I am sorry,answered Nasreddin.If my donkey was here,I would of course lend it to you very willingly,but it is not.Oh? said the woman...It was here last night,because I saw it behind your house.Where is it now?
My wife took it into town early this morning,answered Nasreddin.
Just then the donkey brayed loudly !...
You are not telling the truth,Nasreddin !.the woman said angrily. I can hear your donkey.You should be ashamed of yourself,telling lies to a neighbour !
You are the one who should be ashamed ,not me!.shouted Nasreddin.Is it good manners to believe a donkey's word rather than that of one of one's neighbours ?.

No comments: